When I was a small child, my mother read to me every night. Those moments were very special to me. It was the time of day when I got my mom all to myself. I begged her to read me another story and another until she’d read every golden book in my tiny collection. I know that love of reading gave birth to my love of writing. Certain personality traits and events in my life nurtured that squalling infant into the insatiable beast it is today.
I’ve always had an overactive imagination. Not the kind that imagines gray, spindly arms with open wounds extending from beneath the bed skirt to grab your ankles when you try to find the bathroom in the dark. Well, yeah, that kind too, but my imagination is even more bizarre. It makes up people. People that seem real to me. Maybe it’s just schizophrenia. Instead of talking to them in a loud voice while I walk down the street, I write stories about them. I heard somewhere that intelligent, imaginative children often invent an imaginary friend. Friend? Only one? I had seven of them. When I was three. Since then I’ve invented hundreds.
As a child, I did more daydreaming than writing. I’d make up characters and scenarios in my head, but I never wrote them down. It honestly never occurred to me that I should. The writing bug didn’t bite me until I was in junior high school. I distinctly remember being asked to write the ending to some short story. I don’t recall what the story was. I do remember that there were two male lead characters and their constant bickering wedged a riff in a small town, which led to major upset, chaos, and tragedy. I think it was set in the colonial times.
At the end of the original story, the two men were trapped under a log and had no choice but to talk about their differences and make nice, but it never said what happened to them or if they escaped the log. Anyway, most of the class wrote their ending so the lead characters were saved by the townspeople and lived happily ever after. Some had them lay there trapped until they starved to death. I had the townspeople form an angry mob and set the log on fire. (Wow, I was evil!) Looking back on that I’m not sure why my English teacher thought it was the greatest thing ever, but she raved about that story and read it aloud to the entire class. All of her classes, actually. Even classes I wasn’t in. She then passed it around to all the English teachers and they started harassing me to join the journalism club. I never joined. Writing wasn’t my thing. I still remember how embarrassed I was to hear my words read aloud to an audience of bored eighth graders. They thought the fire was cool, though!
I must have been secretly pleased by that incident because after that I started writing. Secretly. No one knew about my hobby. I didn’t consider it a career choice. Just fun! Other teachers encouraged me to write, too. In high school. In college. Even in graduate school. So what did I major in? Science.
Around the same time that I started writing for fun, I discovered romance novels. I loved reading them. Still do. I guess it only makes sense that I’d eventually write them. I love that even more. My favorite parts? The passionate kisses, tender caresses, and the fiery sex scenes. That’s probably why I write those parts in abundance. :-)
Has a teacher (or someone else) ever encouraged you to explore strengths you didn’t know you had?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I used to write in secret too, Oliva, as a child!
ReplyDeleteI wrote tons of short stories in my own time, in my tiny pink bedroom, on my red typewriter.
Most of the early ones were plain awful, but I didn't care. I enjoyed the making up of characters and plot lines. If I wasn't writing the stories, I was reading them -- Virgina Andrews I adored her books, still do.
Three years ago (or so) I attended community college in Australia. The Communications teacher always encouraged me to write a book. Eventually, the fact that she believed I could do it sunk in and I dove back into writing fiction.
I now have a book about to be released, another in submission and I'm writing my third.
See..that teacher was so right :) Just a shame I hadn't shared my love for writing sooner, or I'd be Nora Roberts by now ;) LOL
No. I'm just crazy. When I was a kid writing in school, I'd always have stories where people were knocked unconscious and end up somewhere completely different and have to sort it out.
ReplyDeleteI was also making up a plethora of scenarios in my mind. Before I could really write well I would draw them.
ReplyDeleteYup, my teachers encouraged me to write fiction too. My reports, even in college, were...different. When I was in College I took several psych classes and had to do a lot of case studies. They were never cut and dried. One particular professor called me to her office. I'm thinking, okay I must have done something wrong. She told me she had read my 3 month project. I got an A. She said, "I've NEVER read a case study that moved me to tears or laughter like this one. You have a knack of capturing the observational subject and bringing them to life on a page. Have you ever considered being a writer? I think you'd do very well."
Sure, I considered it, but her encouragement stuck with me. Of course I went to college to get a *real* job. lmao!
I was shy and studious in high school. Because of curriculum requirments and a run on popular electives, I was put into a speech and debate class. Thought I was going to sink through the floor at having to do public speaking or to convince anyone of my view of a discussion. The teacher was very encouraging and even asked me to perform some of my speeches to his other class. In the end, I received a part of my college scholarship money from debate.
ReplyDeleteHi Olivia. I liked hearing the story about your eighth grade writing experience. I got those kinds of reactions to things I wrote a couple of times -- both in high school and in a night school creative writing class years later. The latter reaction helped tip me into starting to plot my own novel, which I finished umpteen years later.
ReplyDeleteI loved Debate. Hm, maybe I am just crazy. smile
ReplyDeleteMy High school teachers encouraged me to write as well. I've always loved books. I had very precious few as a kid as a result mine have a small library, okay it's daycare sized. I love words!
Some one once said to me, "I don't think I could write a whole book."
Without much thought I replied, "When you have characters talking to you and they won't shut up, you'll write a book."
Poor man took a step back. His face said, back away from the crazy lady. LOL
well hon sex and love is an extraordinary science in itself , study of human behavior , very emotional, yes and it all starts with those daily school journals
ReplyDeleteMy teacher influence was of a different sort. My High school Social Studies teacher was very big on political involvement, and taught that it was important to be a responsible citizen. Partly because of her, I joined a political party and became quite involved. Still am.
ReplyDeleteJo-Anne - I'm glad that teacher recognized your potential. Congrats on getting published!
ReplyDeleteVA- They sound like fine adventure stories!
Sia- Me, too, on the real job. I needed benefits and a 401K!
Lil- Cool story! I was once too shy to speak in public. I've never done debate, but I took a speech class in college. The entire class was convinced I would be the next big stand up comic. Um, no, but I guess that's why my books have so much humor.
James- I'm glad people recognized your talent. It really does push us to keep going.
Sherilyn- So you're schitzophrenic, too? Most non-writers don't get it. :-)
Geminimoon60- My science degree is in Pathology, but I teach college Human Anatomy and Physiology, which comes in handy for describing sex scenes. :-)
Jenn- That's awesome! Teachers have so much power to lift a young person or lower them. I hope everyone has at least one teacher who encouraged them to be a better person. I used to teach High School. I know that age group is looking for a reason to shine.