Thursday, November 11, 2010

eXcessica Author Eve Cassidy

Thank you so much for having me as a guest on your blog. Especially today. Veterans Day is a special day for me because I am a veteran. I served in the USMC quite a few years ago but it was an incredible experience that stays with you for a lifetime. I often get asked why I went in the Marines and the answer is far to complex to summarize in one line so I found a video of women Marines who answer that very question.



The USMC was a welcome and enjoyable challenge in my life. In fact my enjoyment of my thirteen weeks in boot camp is what inspired me to start writing the G.I. Jamie series. While I write erotic fiction, it's impossible not to blend in some real life experience along the way. So while Jamie might be having the sexual revolution of her life, some of the training experiences she goes through are quite real.

I considered writing one long story for Jamie and changed my mind. I really liked the idea of breaking up her journey into short story segments to give the reader a different feel or tone for each chapter of her experience. I already know where she ends up but she has a lot to learn before she gets there. I hope you'll check out her stories and get a taste for the blend between fiction and real life. G.I. Jamie is the first story and is already available. On Your Knees Soldier is the next segment and comes out in January 2011. Which scary to say, is just around the corner.

I also write m/m military stories. For as long as I can remember the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy has been a source of controversy for so many. I had a very good friend in the Marines with me who also happened to be gay. Even though I knew him well, I can only imagine the internal struggle he must have suffered from having to keep part of who he was such a secret. His struggle inspired me to write Don't Tell. I thought Jeff and Finn's story could remain simple, but like me, readers have fallen for these two men as much as I did and we are all clamoring for their return. So, I'm pleased to report I am working on a new story for them.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Veteran's Day. What does it mean to you?

Happy Veterans Day!

Eve
To see what other books I have available or to find out what I'm working on please visit me at my website or chat me up on Twitter.
http://evecassidy.net/
http://www.twitter.com/evecassidy

****CONTEST****

This week there will be two winners. In your comment to Eve please let me know whether you would rather win Meet the Baumgartners by Selena Kitt or Slave to Shadows by Gavin Atlas
at the end of the week I will draw two names, one for each title, from everyone who leaves comments :)


click on each title to read the blurb
Please don't forget to leave an email addy so you can be contacted if you are a winner

4 comments:

  1. What a thoughtful post. I've been struggling all morning to figure out what Veterans Day means to me, and it's sad that I can't come up with something. I think I have to admit that I have pretty mixed feeling about how certain presidents have, in my opinion, misused our military might. However, I still admire the bravery of American troops as well as recognize their tremendous commitment and the risks they volunteer for. My dad has worked at some well-known cancer hospitals almost all of his adult life, and I remember him occasionally going to a VA hospital in the Bronx to assist them with their programs and feeling that veterans really deserved better. So here's hoping that happens. They do deserve the best considering the dangers they faced.

    Also, Eve, thanks so much for writing about gay characters in the military, and for explaining in your post why the topic is a personal one for you. From the bestseller lists, it seems like Don't Tell was a huge hit.

    I look forward to helping you make your future work just as successful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eve, Thank you for your time served. It is a great chance and sacrifice for those who choose to serve. There are many of us who are exremely grateful for all the military. I will be very happy the day that everyone is allowed to be themselves in the military. For a country that places such emphasis on being non discriminatory, I am very surprised that this discrimination has gone on. Your stories sound interesting and look forward to reading them.

    I am interested Selena Kitt's "Meet the Baumgartners" Thanks Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vet Day --It's hard not to think of all the things we loose when family members go overseas. But I am proud what our country does for the world and so sad that there is still such need.

    My father-in-law still doesn't talk about his time as Gaurd for Unknown Soilder in Washington or as a Ranger (reg not airborn). Now he didn't serve during any war time, but still bothers me that he won't talk about something that seems important to me.

    And I still have a major issue with "Don't ask, don't tell" while we claim to be a free, non-discriminating country. That is the bigest load of BS I have ever heard! There should be NO problem with this area or with 'gays' in the military! But my ideas are why I am not in politics (and why I make sure I vote every time).
    Not sure I stayed on subject, sorry.

    I too am interested in Meet the Baumgartners by Selena Kitt. Thanks for the offer.

    vickykerr@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone for your thoughtful posts. I was out of town on Veteran's Day and have just returned. I look forward to writing more sexy military stories very soon.

    ReplyDelete