Monday, November 8, 2010

eXcessica Author Roxanne Rhoads

Are Ghosts As Real as We Are?


My belief is that our souls, our spirits make us who we are. Once the spirit/soul leaves the body the body is just an empty shell. The essence is gone on to wherever it is spirits go- heaven, hell, limbo, or perhaps stuck in this world unseen and unheard by the living.

With this belief in mind I would think that on one level a ghost is just as real as a living, breathing person they just no longer have a shell around them. When I say real I mean a conscious, feeling entity.

I do understand that some spirits are not conscious, they are more of an imprint, a memory locked on replay tied to a place or thing- the same image, the same thing happens over and over again. And then there are spirits that are not human, that were never human to begin with but that’s a whole different ball park than what I’m talking about now.

I’m talking about your basic ghost. Someone dies, the spirit leaves the body but for whatever reason does not cross over. It’s here, still conscious, still feeling, still aware but not tied to a physical body. Can we say that the spirit is not worth considering, that the spirit does not matter?

I question this because the point was brought up in an amazing book I just finished, Sparks by Laura Bickle. Her character, Anya, believes that ghosts- spirits matter. That their feelings should be taken into consideration. A few people in her ghost hunting group think otherwise. It’s not something that gets resolved within the book but it is a great discussion point and something to ponder.

If we are who we are because of a soul and our soul leaves our body when we die and moves on to become a spirit- then how can anyone who believes in a soul believe that the spirit that it becomes irrelevant?

It’s something to think about isn’t it?

My stand alone release from Excessica, A Halloween to Remember, features a ghost. Dimitri is the spirit of a man who died before his dream could become reality. This ties him to his house so he is unable to cross over. But no one ever sees him. Not until Adena attends a Halloween party in the home he built- and Halloween magic allows her to see and feel him.

He’s as real to her as a flesh and blood man, certainly to her ghosts are real and deserve the same consideration as a living breathing human.
My story, “Overkill”, that appears in the October Excessica anthology, Wonder, features a vampire not a ghost but many consider vampires to be soulless- so would that make them less likely to have rights even though they have a physical body?

I find the belief that vampires are soulless to be outdated considering that many modern depictions of vampires show them to be tortured and loving souls capable of great emotion. I can’t see how one can have emotion or the ability to love without a soul.

One line I read in the book Sparks said something similar to “their rights end at death”.

According to a lot of vampire legends vampires are dead- or undead. So even if they have a soul and though they are up and walking around they are still considered walking corpses (another concept I find outdated). Do they not have rights, feelings, and emotions to be considered?

It’s something to ponder when reading or writing paranormal fiction and urban fantasy- in the laws of a world that recognizes the existence of paranormal creatures what rights under law should they have?

What feelings should we consider when making choices about/for them?

What do you think?

Do rights and feelings end at death?

If they existed in our world should sentient ghosts, vampires, werewolves and Other paranormals have the same rights as normal humans?


****CONTEST****
This week there will be two winners. In your comment to Roxanne please let me know whether you would rather win Meet the Baumgartners by Selena Kitt or Slave to Shadows by Gavin Atlas
at the end of the week I will draw two names, one for each title, from everyone who leaves comments :)

click on each title to read the blurb

9 comments:

  1. Great post, Roxanne. I think Laurel K. Hamilton and Charlaine Harris also kind of debate if vampires and "supes" (supernaturals) deserve equal rights. Rights under some sort of law are one thing, but what about prejudices? Considering that vampires keep killing people (at least in those two series), it feels understandable that humans would be afraid. I guess it's natural to be afraid of what you don't understand.

    Roxanne, do you have anything coming out in the future (Excessica or otherwise?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a short erotic holiday story that just came out in the ebook Candy Cane Thrills through Xcite Books.

    I have a couple stories coming out through Noble Romance in the next couple months. "No Place I'd Rather Be" is scheduled to be released Nov 29.

    "Complete Circle" does not yet have a release date.

    I also have a story, "Blood, Lust and Shadows" appearing in the soon to be released L&L Dreamspell antho Erotic Dreamspell which features paranormal erotic short stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I believe the soul should be appreciated, having rights as a nonphysical entity is hard to justify. Ghosts should be revered as a past life, a walking history that we could learn from, but they are far from irrelevant. They are our history, and should be appreciated as much as we do a history book. They are not irrelevant, they are lost souls.

    Oh and I want to try out Slave to Shadows :)

    As far as vampires having rights, what constitutes what can and can't have rights? Is there something that states your heart has to beat to have a right? No, last time I checked, you just had to be a citizen. Well does citizenship go away after you die, even if you come back? Where does it state that? So rock on vamps, weres, and other beings who still impact society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your post. It raises interesting points. I would love to win a copy of Meet the Baumgartners. Thanks! allison.winfield@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rock on, Becky! As someone who doesn't have the right to marry, I like the way you think. Becky, do you like paranormal reads? Roxanne's book, A Halloween to Remember, got some great reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You presented a very thought provoking idea. I find it hard to conceptualize how you would produce evidence in a court of law to prove the existence of an entity claiming a right.

    I'm sure I would enjoy Slave to Shadows. I always enjoy Gavin's comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting topic.
    I don't think rights end at death.Spirits stick around maybe for unfinished business. Just because there body is gone doesn't mean who they were emotionally is gone also..they think the same way,they just are not ready to cross over for some reason or another.
    As for vamps I agree with you on the outdated stuff..As for laws,I think all creatures have to obey them,sure there would have to be new ones made for supernaturals,but if they abide by them I think we could all co-exist.Its no different than humans who follow or break the laws.
    I would pick Meet the Baumgartners by Selena Kitt
    elaing8(at)netscape(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, the debates this could cause. Now that we have gotten past color and gender...(well, most of us anyway).
    I think it would come down to those who could effect their enviorment. Vamps & shifters that could pass for norms at least some of the time would have the easiest time getting some or all rights. The 'odd' creatures would be lucky to even get to stay free. Now, lets be honest here. Humans may like to read/watch strange things for fiction, but the freak over anything different. Even just being left-handed 25 years ago made one stick out in school! Can't imagine being an actual different spieces.
    As for an actual ghost... Much would come down to the actual acpect of it. Can if manifest? Be seen? Move objects? Just a see-through spirit would have a much harder time than a full-power, seen, object-moving, person-possesing ghost.

    And I have to go with Laural K Hamilton, all zombies should be back in the ground or destroyed. Just yuck! And if a spirit takes control of one, is it still just a zombie?? This is getting WAY complicated....
    vickykerr@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I forgot to say which I wanted to 'win':

    Meet the Baumgartners by Selena Kitt

    Thanks for the contest!

    vickykerr@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete