Hi all, I'm excited to be a part of Seriously Reviewed author spotlight. I live in Oregon with my husband of thirty-one years. We raise cattle and grass and alfalfa hay. It's a lot of work and we're hoping to simplify things in a few years. Our children are all grown and supplying us with grandchildren to spoil.
My current release is the fourth book of my five book series about the Halsey brothers. The books are set in NE Oregon in the late 1800's and tell how five brothers each find the loves of their lives. Of course with the titles being, Marshal in Petticoats, Outlaw in Petticoats, Miner in Petticoats, and Doctor in Petticoats the heroines are strong independent women with usually male occupations. When you mix strong-willed women with head-strong men you get a good mix of conflict.
My current release, Doctor in Petticoats, was a risk because my hero is blind. I based how my hero reacted to things by how an older relative, who was blind, related to the world around her when she visited our family each summer. While I had some firsthand knowledge for the blindness, I had to research the state owned blind school. I visited the school, and they allowed me to go through their records from the late 1800's. That helped me learn how many employees and how the school was run as well as some insight into the types of students they helped. With the school being across the state from Clay's home, I had to research train travel so he and Rachel could get him back home. And I had to research medical practices and women doctors for that time period since Rachel is a doctor. All this research was fascinating.
Blurb for Doctor in Petticoats
After a life-altering accident and a failed relationship, Dr. Rachel Tarkiel gave up on love and settled for a life healing others as the physician at a School for the Blind. She's happy in her vocation--until handsome Clay Halsey shows up and inspires her to want more.
Blinded by a person he considered a friend, Clay curses his circumstances and his limitations. Intriguing Dr. Tarkiel shows him no pity, though. To her, he's as much a man as he ever was.
Can these two wounded souls conquer outside obstacles, as well as their own internal fears, and find love?
Excerpt
“I’m going to look in your other eye now.” She, again, placed a hand on his face and opened the eyelids, stilling her fluttering heart as she pressed close. His clean-shaven face had a couple small nicks on the edges of his angular cheeks. The spice of his shave soap lingered on his skin.
She resisted the urge to run her cheek against his. The heat of his face under her palm and his breath moving wisps of wayward hair caused her to close her eyes and pretend for a few seconds he could be her husband. A man who loved her and wouldn’t be threatened by her occupation or sickened by her hideous scar.
His breathing quickened. A hand settled on her waist, slid around to her back, and drew her forward. Her hand, holding the lens, dropped to his shoulder, and she opened her eyes. This behavior on both their parts was unconscionable, but her constricted throat wouldn’t allow her to utter the rebuke.
Clay sensed the moment the doctor slid from professional to aroused woman. The hand on his cheek caressed rather than held, her breathing quickened, and her scent invaded his senses like a warm summer rain.
To learn more about me you can go to my website: http://www.patyjager.net/ or see what's up weekly by going to my blog: http://www.patyjager.blogspot.com/ or to purchase this book in either print or e-book go to The Wild Rose Press http://www.thewildrosepress.com/doctor-in-petticoats-paperback-p-4105.html
Tomorrow I'll interview Clay. Stop by and see what he has to say for himself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love this excerpt :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Romance Reader. These characters were a lot of fun to write.
ReplyDeleteWhat fun! It seems you are so organized. I love this cover, don't think I told you that before. The book looks very interesting and I'm looking forward to reading it. Please bring copies in October when you speak at the meeting in Salem.
ReplyDeletewow, that is awesome Paty. My favorite sentence is this one: Clay sensed the moment the doctor slid from professional to aroused woman. Interesting/exciting excerpt. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteHi Christine, Thanks! It was my editor's idea to add the cowboy. I plan on bringing books to the meeting.
ReplyDeleteThanks Robynl!
Hi Paty,
ReplyDeleteI read Doctor in Petticoats last week and enjoyed it a lot. Now, I have to backtrack and find the first three and watch for #5. Showing my age, I had trouble identifying with the hero as portrayed on the cover...looks 15 to me, though a very sexy 15! Do you have much control over your covers? Arletta
Hi Arletta, I'm glad you enjoyed Doctor in Petticoats. As for the cover-I thought he looked young, too. The background in the picture I actually took in a museum. They were very kind to let me stage and take the photo. The publisher photoshopped the boy in. Yes, I think he looks like a boy, but once the cover is sent unless there is something drastically wrong they don't change it.
ReplyDeleteI love the cover of Doctor In Petticoats and love the sound of the book. These are my type of books but sadly I can not get all I want but I try to use the library when I can. susan L.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Susan! Be sure to visit the Saturday post and you could win this book. ;)
ReplyDeletePaty, you latest book sounds fascinating. One of my relatives was the first woman osteopath in North Texas, and went on to establish her own hospital on the Texas Gulf Coast. DOCTOR IN PETTICOATS has captured my interest.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your tour and with your sales.
Caroline Clemmons
Caroline, You have some great family history you can incorporate into a book.
ReplyDeletePaty, I am intrigued and looking forward to getting me a copy of this story :)
ReplyDeleteJoanna Aislinn
Love, Life Lessons and then Some
NO MATTER WHY
The Wild Rose Press
www.joannaaislinn.com
www.joannaaislinn.wordpress.com
Thanks, Joanna!
ReplyDelete