It's Rachel Tarkiel's turn to be interviewed. She is the heroine in Doctor in Petticoats.
Tell us a little bit about your world.
I'm a woman physician who can't find a job. While I finished in the top of my class at the Women's Medical College no one will give me a job as a doctor only as a nurse. I refuse to waste my education to work as a nurse. My father donated money to the Blind School, and they hired me as their full time doctor. I don’t mind working with the students, but I'm not using my full potential diagnosing sniffles and bandaging minor injuries. My father is a respected judge and he, my mother, and sister all flourish in the political spotlight while I prefer to stay in the background.
What makes you special?
I don't consider myself special. I'm plain and I've dedicated myself to helping others. After spending endless hours year after year in doctor's office as my mother dragged me around trying to rid my face of this ugly scar, I realized I wanted to help others.
Tell us about your most current adventure.
You could definitely call my interactions with Clay Halsey an adventure! After my fiancé dumped me when he found out about my scar, I set my mind on a career and tossed the idea of a marriage and family out the window. But Clay has brought out desires and that yearning again. His kisses and attention are more wondrous than any woman could dream of.
Are you happy with the way people perceive you?
No. the people who have seen or know of my scar treat me with pity or worse aversion. I hate that. The scar isn't who I am. I received it saving my little sister. I also don't appreciate the way people treat me when they find out I've been to medical school. I don't carry a disease because I had the fortitude and presumptiveness to work in a man's occupation.
What other characters have influenced you?
Clay has influenced me. His belief in my skills and his unflagging desire to see me succeed has helped me see my only limitations are myself.
Share a little bit of the ‘real’ you with our readers. Any Dark secrets?
Heaven's if I told you my dark secret it wouldn’t be a secret anymore now would it? Oh. My cheeks are burning. While what Clay and I did in the washroom on the train was rather scandalous, I found it invigorating.
Excerpt for Doctor in Petticoats:
“Dr. Tarkiel, you have a visitor.” Mrs. White said.
Rachel jerked her hand off Clay’s knee. She spun toward the pathway and groaned. Celeste stood
beside the matron. Her frilly off-the-shoulder dress and fancy hat reduced the matron to the servant
class.
“So this is why we hardly see you.” Celeste’s gaze traveled up and down Clay. She extended her hand. “I’m Celeste Tarkiel, Rachel’s sister.”
Rachel stood, taking Celeste’s hand and drawing her to the chair she’d just vacated. “Celeste, this is Clay Halsey. The student who recently broke his leg.”
Celeste’s eyebrow rose as she took the offered seat. Rachel still held Clay’s letter, she shoved it in her apron pocket. She grabbed the basket on the bench and sat next to Clay.
“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Miss Tarkiel.Rachel talks about her family quite a bit.”
Clay’s deep smooth voice tipped Rachel’s lips in a smug smile. For a miner he could talk just as smooth and sappy as a politician.
“So, do the two of you spend a lot of time together?” Celeste’s tone rang with accusation and innuendo.
“Not as much as I’d like.” Clay’s smile and comment warmed Rachel’s heart. She hid the smile tickling her lips and set her face in her professional expression.
“Mr. Halsey, you’ve been told before not to be so forward.”
“I can’t help it, you’re so interesting.” He reached over and placed his hand on her arm.
His actions and seductive voice fluttered her heart. Celeste’s mouth dropped open, and then snapped shut.
Rachel stared at her sister. How could she get Clay to remove his hand without being rude in front of Celeste? He must have felt her tremors, because his brow furrowed, and his hand moved to his leg.
“Why are you visiting me here?” Rachel asked, wondering if Mr. Smith would come by so she could have him take Clay back into the infirmary.
“It was such a lovely day I went for a walk. And do you know who I ran into? Madge Newcomb. She was going on and on about what a shame it was you were tucked away here in this blind school and not getting out and socializing.”
Rachel groaned and swept a glance at Clay. Of course he’d perked up to listen. “I don’t really—”
“I told her you would be at the Fourth of July celebration. After all, it is an election year, and Father will be expected to speak. You never miss his speeches.” Her sister shot a glance to Clay and took a breath to go on. “She wanted to know who would escort you—”
“I don’t need an escort, and I’d rather you didn’t gossip about me with your friends.” Anger gurgled in her stomach. Heat streamed up her neck, infusing her cheeks. How dare her sister presume to speak of her to others? Her business was just that—her business.
“I’m escorting her.”
Clay’s declaration nearly shot Rachel off the bench. She twisted on the seat, her knees bumping his. Her heart bounced around inside her ribs like popcorn in a kettle.
“You have a broken leg.” She couldn’t control the warble in her voice.
“A Fourth of July celebration would be on July fourth. That’s still a month away. You said this should be healed in six weeks. What better way to celebrate getting this heavy thing off my leg than escorting a beautiful woman to listen to her father speak?” He placed his hand on her knee and squeezed. “I could use some time away from here, and so could you.”
Her heart palpitated. Eagerness to get away from the school and be with him flushed her whole being. But what if it only made her wish for things that couldn’t be?
Tomorrow I'll share info and an excerpt from my August release, Spirit of the Mountain.
To learn more about me you can go to my website: http://www.patyjager.net/ or see what's up weekly on my blog: http://www.patyjager.blogspot.com/ or to purchase this book in either print or e-book go to The Wild Rose Press http://www.thewildrosepress.com/doctor-in-petticoats-paperback-p-4105.html
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love this cover. I loved it over on the NS Blog! Great character interview :)
ReplyDeleteI'm with Hales. Great cover and I love the idea of interviewing your characters. Because we all know they're real people to us. And if we do it well, the readers. Really fun blog.
ReplyDeleteYes, lovely cover. How very interesting about your heroine. So unique. I love that she's flawed and unusual. My great grandmother was also a doctor, one of the few in her day. That would have been the latter 1800's into the early 1900's. She too was quite determined and founded a clinic in China which is a thriving hospital today.
ReplyDeleteLoved the excerpt. I have got to get Doctor in Petticoats. Interesting interview.
ReplyDeleteHi, Paty! I've got my copy of Doctor in Petticoats. Sounds like an awesome story!!
ReplyDeleteInterviewing characters gives them a more "real" feeling.
ReplyDeleteNow I want to know about Rachel's scar and what scandalous thing went on in the washroom!
Marianne/April
Hi Paty,
ReplyDeleteI loved Rachel's interivew. Great excerpt, I love a flawed heroine, a hero too for that matter. Sounds like a fabulous read.
Regards
Margaret
Thank you Hales!
ReplyDeleteKate, I think by interviewing characters it makes them real to the reader as much as to the author.
Wow, Beth. That's fantastic. Will that become a story for you some day?
Thanks, She.
Thanks, Susan!
LOL, April/Marianne.
Thanks, Margaret. I had a good time coming up with these characters.