Thursday, July 29, 2010

Paty Jager-day 5

Himiin, Wolf, the hero of Spirit of the Mountain is here today to tell us about himself.


Tell us a little bit about your world.

I'm a spirit placed on the Mountain of the Wallowa Nimiipuu to watch over them and the creatures. Dark spirits continue to take over the mountain, but I intervene keeping the mountain pure. When I became a spirit as a young man, I lost many human emotions and held only the commitment to the mountain and its creatures as my focus. I've spent many lifetimes watching over this mountain.

What makes you special?

I can shift my spirit into other creatures' bodies. I prefer the regal body of the white wolf for its ability to travel the mountain, but I have on occasion entered a human to help guide them, and I have used other animals to secure their health. I can be out of a body for only a short time or I will cease to exist. I can heal or ease discomfort while in another creature. My short fall is the fact I will turn to smoke and no longer exist should I set foot off the mountain.

Tell us about your most current adventure

My siblings fear the attraction I feel for the Nimiipuu maiden Wren. But it is the first time since becoming a spirit I truly feel alive. Even the rage I feel knowing she must leave the mountain and marry the enemy of the Nimiipuu is welcome after so many life times of being numb. My heart has encompassed the maiden but out of duty I must let her go.

Are you happy with the way people perceive you?

They perceive me as they should. I am a spirit and should be revered.

What other characters have influenced you?

Wren has taught me what it is to truly live again. Her youth, beauty, and strength are a heady combination, but her love of the mountain and its people is as strong as my obligation to the same. She inspires me.

Share a little bit of the ‘real’ you with our readers. Any Dark secrets?

I've always felt the Creator made my brother, sister, and I spirits as punishment for our father's foolishness. For this I have not always been as obedient as I should. Sa-qan is always threatening me with being like our father. I fear this may be true when I no longer care what the Creator thinks and mate with Wren.

Excerpt for Spirit of the Mountain:

Thinking of all the places on the mountain the dark spirit could hide, he barely caught the cadence of happy voices mingled with the songs of the birds. Before he could duck for cover, two young Nimiipuu maidens appeared within striking distance.

The shorter one grasped the tall maiden’s arm. “We should back away,” she whispered.

Himiin listened and watched. His body tensed as the taller female shook off her friend’s hand. The last time he’d come this close to a mortal…He didn’t want to think about it. He stared at the maiden, willing her to keep her distance. The slender young woman stopped and tilted her head this way and that. She stared at him through narrowed eyes.

“His fur is whiter than a summer cloud, and his eyes shimmer bluer than the lake. He reminds me of the spirit—” Her gaze lowered to his leg that oozed blood.

“Look, he is hurt.” The slender maiden walked toward him without fear. She approached, her steps slow, holding her outstretched arm offered palm up in submission.

She must be either very brave or halfwitted. For not many—warriors included—would approach a wolf in such a way. Himiin remained still. His muscles bunched, ready to spring in flight. He couldn’t defend himself.

If he killed another…Closing his eyes, he swallowed the lump of disgust.

“Do not worry. I will not hurt you. I know you are my spirit wolf.”

Her gentle sweet voice eased his tension, drawing him back to the moment. After the encounter with the Blackleg spirit, he was wary of a female walking toward him as if he caused her no threat. She could be the dark spirit in another vessel. He studied her eyes intently. The discernable essence of a spirit or person shone in their eyes. Her words registered—my spirit wolf.

To learn more about me you can go to my website: http://www.patyjager.net/  or see what's up weekly on my blog: http://www.patyjager.blogspot.com/  or to purchase this book in print go to The Wild Rose Press http://www.thewildrosepress.com/spirit-of-the-mountain-paperback-p-4175.html

Tomorrow an interview with Wren

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great story, Paty! And the cover is absolutely beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the interview, Paty. Sounds like a great story. I've added it to be TBR pile! The cover is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a totally facinating and provacative read. I'm heading over to B&N to order it... like I can afford another book. Love the way your interview reads in character.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paty, I have to read this book. It's obvious that you have done a ton of research. Good luck with sales!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you draw out the essence of your white wolf,Himiin.
    The name alone conjures up mystery and intrigue. He's obviously very caring and yet holds resentments against the fates for his predicements.
    I am so glad my TBR pile is not physical - I'd have no floor or shelf space left if it was :-). LOL

    ReplyDelete