Monday, July 26, 2010

Paty Jager-day 2

Today I'm interviewing my hero from Doctor in Petticoats- Clay Halsey

Tell us a little bit about your world.

I grew up in a small mining area in the Blue Mountains of Oregon with my family. There were six boys and Ma and Pa. I was about fourteen when our parents and youngest brother were killed by Indians. After that our oldest brother took care of us. We continued to work the mine and do odd jobs around the community. I like figuring out how things work and had been drawing up a way to make the stamp mill more efficient when my eyesight was taken from me in a dynamite blast.

What makes you special?

I don't know if you'd call me special, but I lost my sight when someone I thought was my friend tried to kill my brother and his soon-to-be wife. A stick of dynamite blew up near me and the concussion of the blast took away my sight. Now, I have hopes it will eventually return, but in the event it doesn't, I refuse to be a burden on anyone. That's why I'm at the blind school.

Tell us about your most current adventure.

My oldest brother dumped me at the blind school in Salem, Oregon on his way to his honeymoon with his new wife and her two kids. In the beginning, I'm feeling like a turkey among a flock of ducks until I meet a young man who hasn't let his blindness stop him from helping his mother and sister. Forgetting my limitations, I climb on a roof and fall, breaking my leg. That's when I get to really explore the many facets of Doctor Rachel Tarkiel.

Are you happy with the way people perceive you?

It depends on if you are talking about before the book or now that I've learned so much about myself. I'd say at the beginning of the book, no, I'm not happy with how people perceive me because I'm not happy with myself. But with Rachel's love I learn self-respect and how to stand on my own. And people regard me with more respect and appreciate how hard I work to not be a burden on anyone.

What other characters have influenced you?

Donny is a twelve year-old boy who has been blind for several years, yet he is teaching other students at the blind school how to make brooms. He makes them and teaches to support his mother and sister. He is one person who taught me to never harbor self-pity and to use every ounce of determination to get what you want. There are no limitations other than what you put on yourself.

Share a little bit of the ‘real’ you with our readers. Any Dark secrets?

There were days when I first became blind I thought about going for a walk and hoping they never found me. I felt useless and worthless. But my brothers seemed to sense that and wouldn't leave me alone. Colin, Aileen's son, even stood beside the outhouse in case I decided to bolt from there.

Excerpt from Doctor in Petticoats:

Clay brushed a hand over her silky hair. Dull brown, she’d said. It was too downy and sweet smelling to be a dull brown. He traced her small ear hidden under soft, short curls. His fingers followed her velvety skin up along her hairline, down the middle of her forehead, so smooth and warm, over a small bump of a nose and pouty, supple lips. He traced the pointed edges at each side. What would it feel like to taste them?

A puff of warm air misted his fingers, and she mumbled.

Clay continued his exploration, moving down her chin and the side of her face. The pads of his fingers ran over a ridge. He held his breath and traced the ridge from just above her jaw all the way to her temple. The narrow pucker of skin lay two finger widths from her hairline and ran the length of her face.

A scar? How had it happened? And when?

This was why she pulled back from his touch and gave such a disparaging view of herself.

Had someone left this scar on her? If so, he’d find that person and make him pay. His hands fisted. He flexed his aching knuckles and squelched his rage. It wouldn’t do to show how her disfigurement riled him. His limbs gradually relaxed, and he pondered how to help her overcome her poor view of herself.

How did he bring up the topic of her scar without upsetting her?

Clay wrapped his arms around Rachel’s middle and clasped his hands, holding her from rolling off the bed. Her warm breath puffed across his chest. His heart expanded at the latest knowledge about the woman. He was falling for Rachel’s caring nature, her witty conversation, and her touch that heated his body like no other. He’d give up on ever getting his sight back if he could end each day with her wrapped in his arms.

Tomorrow Rachel will be interviewed.

To learn more about me you can go to my website: http://www.patyjager.net/  or see what's up weekly on my blog: http://www.patyjager.blogspot.com/ or to purchase this book in either print or e-book go to The Wild Rose Press http://www.thewildrosepress.com/doctor-in-petticoats-paperback-p-4105.html

2 comments:

  1. Clay is an interesting character. The interview gives more insight into who he is. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete