Monday, August 2, 2010

Interview with a Wolf Biologist, Cassie Roux, SEDUCED BY THE WOLF with Terry Spear

First, an interviewer must conduct some research into an interviewee’s background to do a thorough job of it. But as I attempted to learn what I could of Cassie Roux, I found more questions raised than answers. So here was my attempt at interviewing Miss Roux, who has been featured in scientific journals for her research of wolves and their behavior in an attempt to educate and dispel some of the misnomers surrounding wolves.

Terry Spear: I understand you’re a wolf biologist. What is your favorite aspect of the job, Miss Roux?

Cassie Roux: I love watching the wolves play and hunt and interact socially as a family.

Terry: Do you ever play with them?

Cassie: They’re wolves. And belong to the wild. If I were a wolf, I would. I’m just an observer and someone who loves to teach others about wolves.

Terry: I’ve heard that other wolf biologists believe you’re almost a wolf, yourself. That they treat you as though you’re one of the pack.

Cassie: I’m sure that’s because I have an infinity for animals. They just gravitate toward one. I’ve heard you also have an uncanny love of animals and they gravitate to you.

She cocked a red brow heavenward and I smiled. Who would have thought she’d have investigated MY background? But she was a researcher too. Still, the notion was intriguing.

Terry: I’ve heard you howl just like a wolf and can gather them to you.

Cassie: We all can.

Terry: Hmm, I didn’t know that. Not that I’ve ever really tried, but…

I shook my head, the notion inconceivable.

Terry: I’m sure I’d sound more like a frog croaking and the wolves would be well on their way out of the territory.

Cassie’s eyes sparkled with good humor.

Terry: There are rumors you were a wolf in a past life.

Cassie laughed.

Cassie: Sounds like a fellow biologist, Alex Wellington talked to you.

Terry: He greatly admires you. I understand you’re dating a rancher, Leidolf Wildhaven. How does he feel about your love of wolves? Seems like he’d be worried about them because he raises cattle.

I was afraid this might be a sore spot, but I couldn’t help being curious.

Cassie: He told me wolves are like man’s best friend. Now cougars, that’s a different story. He’s most concerned about them.

Terry: I see.

Although, I really didn’t. It was one of those questions that kept popping up in my mind. Why wouldn’t Leidolf be concerned about wolves? Of course in my mind, being that I love fantasy and mythology, I envisioned both he and Cassie were part time wolves—werewolves as it were. But I’m sure she would have thought me crazy if I’d even teased about something so fantastical.

Terry: What got you interested in being a wolf biologist? Some childhood trip to the zoo that encouraged your love of wolves?

Cassie smiled: Haven’t you heard? I was raised by wolves.

Terry smiled back: Ah, like Romulus and Remus.

Cassie: Sure, I was raised by a pack. That’s why I love them so much.

This was even better than I expected.

Terry: I’ve heard rumors…

Cassie: From?

I cleared my throat.

Terry: Fellow wolf biologist, Alex Wellington to get a little background for the interview. I talked to him. He said you might be marrying Mr. Wildhaven. If that’s so, will you be having a honeymoon with wolves?

Cassie smiled: We’d have to be married. Wouldn’t we?

I could envision Leidolf standing with arms folded across his chest as he watched his new bride hug a couple of wolves, ignoring him.

Terry: Would you continue to take treks into the wilderness to observe wolves, if you married him?

Cassie: It’s my life’s work, so sure.

Terry: Would Mr. Wildhaven join you?

Cassie: You’d have to ask him. I’m sure he’d be surprised to hear we’re getting married, though.

I knew better. I knew Alex was telling the truth, so I wondered why Cassie would deny it.

Terry: Tell me what is your favorite experience with wolves?

Cassie brightened: Seeing an alpha male and female choosing each other and becoming a mating pair. And then before long they’re having a litter of pups.

I knew from my research, Cassie hadn’t any family to speak of, so I wondered if the wolves had become her family. And I assumed unless Leidolf liked wolves as much as she did, it might be a sticking point between them. But as much as I was dying to know about that, I tried to remain professional and stick to the point of the interview.

So why I blurted out: I’ve heard rumors you’re a werewolf, I have no idea.

Cassie gave me a winning smile: How did you ever guess?

After that, we talked about lots of fun things, nothing to do with wolves or werewolves, but about hiking in Oregon, and swimming in California, and well, I thought it was a successful interview, didn’t you?

If you had a chance to interview Miss Roux, what would you ask her?



http://www.terryspear.com/
http://www.wickedlyromantic.blogspot.com/
http://casablancaauthors.blogspot.com/
http://fierceromance.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/terry.spear
http://shapeshifterromance.wordpress.com/2010/01/17/legend-of-the-white-wolf-being-shipped/#comment-4502
http://terry-spear.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

  1. Ah, those rumors. Loved this interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool and fun interview. I would like to know, if real wolves are as picky as some werewolves are when it comes to the color of a wolf?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheila, thanks! I wanted to do something different and thought it would be fun to interview a wolf biologist, that I'm thinking might be a werewolf, in my fanciful imagination at least!

    Thanks for the question, Lori! Gray wolves are the predominant wolf. There are very few red wolves, and some have actually mated with coyotes, and then they're not all wolf any longer. Some mate with dogs--so same thing. If they lived around each other, I'm sure they'd mate. In Oregon, there was a case of a stray gray female travelling on her own for miles. They captured her on cameras several times, and figured she was looking for a mate, but there were none in the area. So if she found a male red in the area and they got along, she probably would have picked him to be her mate, no matter that he was red or gray. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori won this contest! Just let me know which book you'd like. Thanks for dropping by ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A little late her, but I had to say what a fun interview!

    Take Care,

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Karen!
    Glad you dropped by to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting interview. When I go to the zoo, I've never seen the wolves there play, hunt, or interact socially. I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Vonnie! It's not their natural environment. Think if you were stuck in a zoo environment. Would you act the same way as you would when you're not out and about in the world? They can't hunt, because they're fed meals that are specially proportioned for maximum nutrition. Wolf pups when grown will often move away from the pack and start packs of their own. In a zoo, they can't. Can you imagine living with your parents in a cage forever? LOL :)

    ReplyDelete