Today, I’ll be at work before I have a molar extracted. The tooth is cracked to the bone. Just a week ago, I was at Disney World at the 2010 RWA Conference enjoying all that Orlando has to offer, knowing that I’d have to have some major traumatic dental work done when I got home. But I’d really thought the tooth could be saved.
So when we have to deal with reality that isn’t much fun, what is better than slipping into unreal worlds? One of the shows we got to see at one of the Disney theme parks was a purple dragon challenging us to set our imagination free. After work and the extraction, I’ll be going home to read books, watch a movie, and if I’m feeling up to it, writing some on my newly contracted wolf books, and I’ll be setting my imagination free—free of the real world I exist in.
Some time ago, a fan wrote me saying she was in constant pain and was housebound and that my writing helped her to cope with the day-to-day drudgery of living. She said she read and reread my books over and over and they helped her to find other worlds to enjoy, to escape the world she lived in.
So whether we write nonfiction or fiction, we use our imaginations to create the worlds we write about. In nonfiction, we have to imagine how readers will view the work, will it hook enough, will it be interesting enough to capture readers’ imaginations. It doesn’t have to be dry and boring.
A co-worker of mine doesn’t believe in fantasy, or fantastical worlds, yet he loves history that is changed in a fictional way. So what is that? Maybe not as fantastical as some worlds, yet, it’s still not strictly historical either. Whether the story is based on fact, or purely imaginative, when all else fails, falling into another world is a great way to escape.
Have you have a time where you gave everything up just to sit back and enjoy a good story that made your own imagination soar?
Thanks for commenting on today’s post! Tomorrow will be my last day at Seriously Reviewed. I hope everyone is enjoying the blogs!
Terry
“Giving new meaning to the term alpha male.”
http://www.terryspear.com/
http://www.wickedlyromantic.blogspot.com/
http://casablancaauthors.blogspot.com/
http://fierceromance.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/terry.spear
http://shapeshifterromance.wordpress.com/2010/01/17/legend-of-the-white-wolf-being-shipped/#comment-4502
http://terry-spear.blogspot.com/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I'm sorry you couldn't save your Tooth. But at least You were able to taste and bite everything Orlando Had to offer. So Sometimes coming home and back to reality is not that much fun. Thanks to Great authors like yourself. I get to share your Fantasies and your crazy imagination and love the wolves as you do. I'm sure they speak to you and bite you in the Butt when you don't get it right. I'm glad you got it right 5 times. And don't have too many wolf bites that we can see. Keep it real and right. LOL!!!
ReplyDeleteHmm, well, Donna, you're the winner here too. Another book?
ReplyDelete