To Purchase
Odette Peterson has a clear understanding of where the Lord wants her, and that's in the African missionary field. When she meets veteran missionary, Xavier Sand, she embraces their budding relationship. He's everything she's wanted in a man: Christian, kind, and a man who's dedicated his life to ministry. But when he insists she put aside her evangelization efforts and join him in Japan, she finds she must let Xavier go.
Xavier cannot understand why Odette stubbornly clings to the idea that God wants her in Africa. Missionary, yes, but she can do missionary work anywhere. After all, he does. Despite all his efforts to convince her to change her conviction, she refuses and Xavier finds himself floundering for significance in his life.
Across three continents, and with others vying for their hearts, Odette and Xavier must learn to trust that God knows what's best for their futures...even if that means they will never be together.
Excerpt:
Odette could guess what Xavier was thinking. Due to her Tuareg garb, people assumed she was married to Pastor Isa. She hastened to clue him in. “As a favor to the national church, I’m assisting the pastor until he arrives safely in the hands of the conference host. Then I’ll continue my journey home.”
Xavier’s forest-green eyes widened but didn’t waver. “And where might that be?”
Unnerved by his intense gaze, she looked down at her sandals. “Davis, not far from the campus. My dad’s a physics professor.”
“I leave you peace.” Pastor Isa withdrew.
Xavier continued, “You mean you’re just now arriving home? Your parents haven’t seen you for four years? What an awful time for your flight to be delayed.”
“Actually, it’s only been three years. We had a week together after language school.”
“Did they cry and cling and beg you not to go overseas?”
She raised her gaze to his, to make sure he was teasing, and noticed a lock of chestnut hair falling over his forehead. Handsomer than his photo. “No, they were quite happy to be rid of me―the last baby bird to leave the nest.”
“I’ll bet.” He glanced at his backpack.
She took that as her cue to escape his disquieting presence. “I’ll let you get back to your book.”
“No, it’ll wait. Do you suppose Pastor Isa would watch our belongings while we stole off for a cup of coffee?”
Lightning flashed as she hesitated. Careful. Remember, a man’s attentions nearly derailed your last itineration.
“We’ve plenty of time, I assure you.” A rumble of thunder accompanied his voice.
One cup can’t hurt. “Sure, I’ll ask.” She returned to Pastor Isa, explained the situation, and motioned Xavier to come.
With a boyish smile, Xavier brought his backpack and thanked Pastor Isa. Then he took her arm and piloted her toward the coffee shop. “So, where are you stationed―Kuwait? Egypt? I’m not familiar with Middle-Eastern missions.”
“Mali, West Africa―south of Timbuktu.”
“And your earrings are made of camel bone?”
Odette marveled at how much male attention her hand-crafted baubles attracted. To show them to best advantage she lowered her scarf onto her shoulders and shook her head. “Nope.”
“Ivory and ebony?”
“Glass. Bead making is my hobby.”
He stopped behind a businessman at the counter. “Really? What do the local artisans think? Doesn’t that interfere with their commerce?”
“I don’t sell them in the marketplace. I give them away as prizes to ladies who come to my Bible study.”
“Clever.” Xavier moved forward. “What will you have…mocha…latté… cappuccino…fermented ox blood?”
“Yuck, you’re thinking of animists on the other side of the continent. People in my region are Muslim. I’ll have the mocha.”
He ordered two. “They don’t drink blood?”
“Nor alcohol. Not if they obey the Koran.”
“So, if you’re evangelizing the Muslims, how do you approach the men?”
“I don’t. I conduct classes for women―nutrition, sanitation, maternity―plus a Bible study in my home.”
“You’re a nurse?”
“Uh-huh.”
He paid for their coffee, handed her hers, and scanned the crowded room.
She followed him to a corner, no chairs or tables vacant. “What about you?”
He winked. “I thought you read all about me. Or did you just stare at the photo?”
“I…” She could feel herself blushing. “I want to hear it from you.”
“Of course, forgive me for teasing. I develop websites and media productions for churches, Bible colleges, and Christian schools. With high tech and big bucks I try to do what your glass beads do―entice people to explore God’s word.”
She took a careful sip. “You’ve picked a challenging field.”
Discussion Question --
Psalm 37:4, Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. (We can trust Him with our longings—to transform them and fulfill them in His way.

Dana, your story sounds fascinating. Since my husband and I are leaving in a few months for the middle east, I think I have to read this!
ReplyDeletethanks
Dana, I can't wait to read this book either - GREAT story line and your excerpt is wonderful!! God bless!
ReplyDeleteDana,
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a wondedrful, intriguing story. I, too, look forward to reading it.
Mary
Thank you, all. Tanya, may God grant you and your husband a grand adventure: eye-opening, safe, and fruitful. Shalom, salaam alaykum, God’s peace be with you!
ReplyDeleteYes, it does sound fascinating!
ReplyDeleteSounds wonderful!
ReplyDeleteVery intriguing. I love the reminder about Trusting God.
ReplyDelete