Saturday, December 11, 2010

White Rose Author Mary Manners

Mended Heart by Mary Manners

To Purchase


Jade McAllister returns home to Pineyville, Tennessee to help nurse her estranged mother back to health. She's grateful her friend found her a job as an administrative assistant at Pineyville Church. That is, until she runs into Shane Calkin-the bad-boy-wannabe who broke her heart.

Shane's job as Youth Director at the church is a far cry from his high school days as the town's privileged rich kid. The death of his sister has left him with a young niece to raise and a rambunctious puppy to tame. He's not the self-centered person who once hurt Jade, and all he wants now is a second chance to love her. But how can he prove it to her?

Excerpt:

“What are you doing here?”

Shane slid two English muffins into the toaster and pressed the lever to warm them. “Claire let me in an hour ago. She had to get to the hospital.”

She brushed fingers through long strands of wavy hair and tossed her head to work out the tangles. Her eyes glittered beneath sunlight that streamed through the window over the sink, and she pulled the edges of her powder-blue terrycloth robe tighter before cinching the belt. “I’m not a charity case. I don’t need a babysitter.”

He let the comment slide. “Nice slippers.”

She glanced down to see two fuzzy bunny heads staring back at her.

“Claire bought them for me—a gag gift last Christmas.” The pink of a blush crept up her neck. No matter she wasn’t wearing a lick of makeup and that her hair was matted and tangled—she still looked beautiful.

“I made you breakfast.” He reached for the muffins as they popped from the toaster, nicely browned. He gave each half a healthy slap of butter as Jade looked on. The aroma of eggs and crispy bacon filled the air.

“I’m not hungry.” Like a traitor, her stomach chose just that time to let loose a rumble that could have rivaled an earthquake.

“Your belly begs to differ. Did you eat anything at all last night?”

She crossed her arms over her stomach and ignored the question.

Discussion Question--
Jade feels uncomfortable praying in front of others.  Have you ever felt this way?  Do you think there's a "right" and a "wrong" way to pray?

10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this story immensely :)
    And in answer to the question, I don't pray aloud or in front of others. I never have. I guess I don't feel I'm doing it right, that I'll appear irreverant (?spelling)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. Relaxed prayer can be like sitting down with a friend and sharing private stuff over a cup of coffee. Anything goes—laughter, tears, whispers, or exuberant exclamation. No rules, because He’s my Friend and understands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Clare,

    I'm so glad you enjoyed Mended Heart. And, I used to feel the same as you. I was raised to pray silently and privately, so I really could relate to Jade as I wrote this book. But time and friends have taught me there's no 'wrong' way to pray. The Good Lord wants to hear it all.

    Thanks for stopping in. I appreciate you, Clare.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana,

    What a wonderful take on prayer! Isn't it amazing that we have a Savior who loves us so, and is always there to listen? I have learned to listen to Him, as well.

    God bless and have a great Saturday.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying aloud in front of others is difficult for me, but not because I consider it irreverent or disrespectful...I'm just shy. lol I agree with Jade, and I do pray in many different ways, at all times of the day. I find my altar anywhere I talk to God. (That's a very old song, but I love the truth in it.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delia,

    Your message is oh, so powerful. Thank you. Our world does provide many beautiful altars...

    God bless, Delia.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, Mended Heart blessed me - what a great book!! Folks, run to buy it - truly! Can't wait for what's next from you!

    As to prayer - I'm one who prays in private and silence as well - I like that 'one-on-one' time with God...communal prayer at church is awesome as well - it's all in what you feel and are led to in the moment. :-)

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marianne,

    Thanks for stopping by...it's a real treat! My second contemporary romance, Tender Mercies, is scheduled for release with White Rose Publishing on January 14th.

    Isn't it wonderful that we have so many ways to talk with our precious Savior? Truly a blessing.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree. Mostly I pray in silence because it's a private conversation between me and God. There have been times when I've prayed aloud in a group - usually it makes me extremely nervous, mostly because I know I can't voice all that my heart is praying for, and I worry that I'll forget to ask for something important, or leave someone out that needs prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...I can really relate to this! I've been there, experienced that feeling of being nervous, too. Isn't it nice to know we can go to our own little corner and say what's needed...in silence?

    Thank you, Donna, for a beautifully-expressed comment. I appreciate you!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete