I've been surrounded by strong women most of my life. My grandmother, in particular, has always been a huge influence on me. She worked to help support her family in a time when most women didn't work. When they didn't have much money, she made the majority of her children's clothing, Halloween costumes included. She'll be eighty-nine next month. She's buried her husband, parents, brother, son, and granddaughter (my sister)...yet she's still going strong. I've always admired her.
Even though I had some fantastic real-life examples of strong women, my father also wanted me to have great women to look up to in the literary world. He handed me book after book with tenacious women who took matters into their own hands and didn't wait for others to rescue them. They may sometimes be described as haughty and stubborn—but those could be good qualities as well. I looked up to these fictional women and appreciated the authors who created them.
When I sat down to write FORESHADOW, I first had to decide what my main character, Raena (or Rae, as she likes to be called) would be like. I immediately thought of my grandmother and all of those fictional women I'd read about over the years. Rae needed to be someone with flaws, but who wouldn't break under pressure. Yes, she feels anger, she feels fear—but it doesn't stop her. It's one of my greatest dreams that one day Rae might be a positive influence on women, the way my grandmother and the women I read about influenced me.
Website: http://breaessex.com/
Email: brea@breaessex.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/BreaEssex
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/breaessex
Imagine discovering that your boyfriend was out to kill you—and that the annoying boy from school was your guardian angel.Rae Davenport has already lost her mother. The only thing keeping her sane is her new boyfriend, Andrei—that is, until she finds out that he wants to kill her. Andrei is a devil, and he wants to use Rae as a sacrifice to get back into Heaven. The only one who can save her is Logan, her guardian angel. He’s only annoyed her in the past, but now he will be her savior. http://www.astraeapress.com/#ecwid:category=662245&mode=product&product=8307351
It's the strong characters in our lives who have the most long-lasting influence on us. And it's only right that we emulate those people in the stories we write. I have some people like your grandmother in my family tree, too, and I often wish they were still here to consult when times are tough. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteIt's alwasy great to see another writer who believes in the strong female and writes about them
ReplyDeleteIt was wonderful of your Dad to encourage you and help build your confidence by supplying those books.
ReplyDeleteI love to read about strong characters and love that your Dad encouraged you. Foreshadow is on my TBR list so I'm looking forward to meeting your heroine, Rae.
ReplyDeletebest wishes with your new book.
Kudos to your dad, Brea! What a wonderful idea he had.
ReplyDeleteCurrently reading Foreshadow and loving it ...