Friday, February 10, 2012

JF Jenkins

I like to tell people I have a boy harem. Yes, you read that right, a boy harem. I'm talking about my male characters of course, my dream boats, my heroes, those guys who are just too good to be true and yet feel real all the same. It's not an easy task, but someone has to do it right?

A lot of romance writers will agree that the recipe for the perfect man is just as complicated and precise as baking an amazing cake from scratch. Readers always want to know how it's done. How does any writer create a great character? Today I'll give a basic “recipe card” for making a male character of different types.

THE SOFT GENTLE BOY:

-        Sweetness.
-        Humility.
-        Good listening skills.
-        A dash of insecurity.
-        Loyalty.
-        A pretty smile.
-        Sparkling innocent eyes.
-        A sense of humor and good understanding.

There are few more ingredients you can add in of course. Maybe a trouble past or a dark secret, but with the soft gentle boy it's good to remember to ask: Why is he soft and gentle? Did his momma raise him right? Is he simply introverted and likes to keep to himself? No guy is completely perfect, and remember there is a reason there's the phrase “Nice guys finish last”.

THE LONER BAD BOY:

-        Confidence
-        A smidgen of selfishness.
-        Determination.
-        Devotion
-        Intrigue
-        Bluntness
-        A soft spot.
-        Independence

The bad boy is a complex character to write. He has a lot of great qualities that come out in bad ways. For the most part, the bad boy usually like to keep to himself. There's a reason behind why he shoves the world away and says all of those smart allick comments that are sexy, funny, and frustrating all at once. It's the smidgen of selfishness that keeps him from making a lot of friends, but the confidence and intrigue which wins him all of the ladies. Some how he has a hard time keeping them. He might have his own security issues, similar to the sweet boy, but his determination and independence make him push to do it all on his own instead of trusting. Why doesn't he trust?

These are just two of the many types of guys out there. There's the PLAYFUL FUNNY GUY, the SARCASTIC SEX POT, the STRONG AND SILENT, and so on so forth. Some mix together, but the best thing to remember when writing any character of the following things: they have to have a strength, and they have to have a weakness to counter it. They need a motivation, a goal, and they need a history that explains why they act the way they do. Also, not all men are drop dead gorgeous. Some of the most sexy and desirable characters I've read about have some physical flaws too. Look at the men who attract you both physically and emotionally. Notice their good aspects as well as the bad. What type of guy do you find the most attractive?

9 comments:

  1. I'm a sucker for the soft gentle boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want the intelligent guy with an deep sense of integrity and honor. Despite difficulties, he'll do what's right no matter what.

    He's easier for me to write than the bad boy or the beta hero type! And he makes a great antithesis for the evil bad guy who sometimes appears in my works.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Calle - great post, Jilly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soft and gentle works for me, but I'd want him to be able to rise to the occasion if and when his loved ones are in danger or are hurt. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your boy harem! I could never choose between your guys. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, this subject pretty well leaves me out.
    But I can take a side road and tell you what I write into my female protagonists.

    They're attractive, but not perfect

    resourceful, creative, smart ... but not always fully aware of how terrific they are

    self-reliant but don't really want to be solitary

    Confident, but not brash ... and when circumstances call for it -- courageous.

    None of my heroines drive flashy cars or have unlimited funds. None are obsessed with shopping or shoes. HA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to think I like the strong silent type best... the problem is, I could never be with one, because neither of us would ever say anything! ;)

    ReplyDelete