Remember your first kiss? Was it thrilling? Heart-pounding? Breathtaking? In my opinion, first kisses ought to be all of these things and more because they may be the beginning of a voyage of discovery that ends with the finding of true love.
In this excerpt from A New Dream, Matt and Violet share their first kiss. A New Dream is available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and at www.astraeapress.com.
Blurb:
After an accident destroys his NFL career, Matt McCallum struggles to find a new dream for his life. Nothing engages him until he meets Violet Emerson who has big dreams of her own. Together they find a common dream for their lives, but will a loose end from Matt’s past destroy their future before it even begins?
Excerpt:
They drove in a companionable silence for a few minutes before Violet exclaimed, “Oh, Matt, it’s a lovely evening for a drive! The moon’s so big and glorious, and the air feels like silk against your skin.”
Matt’s stomach clenched, and his chest felt as if all the air had been squeezed out of it. Stacey had said almost the exact same words to him only moments before the deer ran in front of him. His foot hit the brake, but this night there was no deer.
Gradually, with Violet chatting happily beside him, the enjoyable present submerged the hurtful memories of the past.
He parked his car in the Emerson’s drive and opened the door for her. Without meaning to, his hand closed around hers as he escorted her to the door. Why did holding a woman’s hand always make him feel so strong? Maybe because her hand felt so
small in his? “I had a good time tonight. Thank you very much for going with me.”
Violet smiled, and he broke into a sweat. The girl needed to be in Hollywood! “Thank you for asking. I had a good time, and I like your mother and your brother. I hate I didn’t meet your father, though.”
“I’m sure he’ll hate it, too.” Matt repressed the grimace that would give the lie to his easy comment. His father didn’t want anything to do with him, much less a date who worked at the store.
They both fell silent, caught in the spell of the evening. Violet glanced at him and moved a fraction closer, her face tilted upward. He closed his eyes as his lips grazed hers.
Soft and warm, her mouth yielded beneath his own. Violet trembled in his arms, and Matt moved away from her. “I scared you. I’m sorry.”
“Scared me?” Violet giggled. “You didn’t scare me.”
“Then why…”
“Matt McCallum, I’m nervous!”
Matt breathed a sigh of relief. “Oh.”
Violet reached for his hand. “You thought I didn’t want to kiss you, didn’t you? Why wouldn’t I?”
Matt drew a breath to explain, but at that moment the porch light came on. From behind the door, they heard Fred Emerson clearing his throat.
I hope you enjoyed this glimpse into Matt and Violet’s world. Please visit me at the following links.
Awwwww .... do I ever remember my first kiss :-)
ReplyDeleteLove the Blurb, Elaine!
Loved the excerpt Elaine, thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteReading about their first kiss brought back the memory of my first
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you girls had memorable first kisses. All I remember is being scared to death! LOL.
ReplyDelete