Sunday, February 5, 2012

Joselyn Vaughn

Anne of Green Gables is one of my favorite movies (and books). I have watched it over and over.  It’s easy to identify with Anne as we both had older ‘parents.’ I have taken to leaving the room or fast-forwarding (our copy is VHS) through one scene. You can probably guess which one – the scene where Matthew dies in the pasture.  When I was little and couldn’t find my parents, this was one of my biggest fears. Matthew is one of my favorite characters and it is too sad to relive his death over and over.

I also love watching Moulin Rouge.  The music, the costumes, the dancing, the story within a story, but I turn it off when Christian and Satine finish singing during the performance. I don’t want to see her die again.

I read The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks and absolutely loved the dog.  The dog was awesome. I don’t read Nicholas Sparks anymore.

It must be why I like writing romance. I like having happy endings where everyone LIVES happily ever after.

In Hauntings of the Heart, I had the first scene I wrote that I couldn’t read over and over again (which makes reviewing for edits very difficult. :-/) I’m not going to tell you what happens.  It’s one of the dark secrets of the book. You can probably guess that somebody dies. It even took me a long time to sit down and write because I didn’t want to feel the sadness of it.

What movies or books do you love to revisit but have to skip parts because they are too sad?

Joselyn

Sweet, small town romances
Indulge your softer side.


When lost love shows up on your doorstep, what do you do?  Minnie Schultz slams the door in his face.  She and Gordon Anderson have a history—close to ancient history, given the fifty years since their last encounter. After all that time, it might seem like water under the bridge. But the water pours from the plumbing in Minnie’s bed and breakfast, the Lilac Bower, uncovering all the secrets and heartache between them. With the help of some paranormal investigators, an Elvis impersonator and a couple of nosey friends, can Minnie and Gordon find the future they were meant to have?

http://www.astraeapress.com/#ecwid:category=662249&mode=product&product=7355585

4 comments:

  1. Fun topic, Joselyn. I can't think of a movie I'd watch again if I had to skip parts of it, but My Sister's Keeper is a movie that has a scene at the end that makes me bawl like a baby EVERY time. Not just a few tears, actual cry into a fistful of kleenex, gasping for breath lol My kids think I'm nuts, and maybe I am. They'll understand one day when they are Mom's themselves.
    I watched the Notebook yesterday. Man I love that movie. It has a rather sad ending, but it is also the most romantic, heart-felt ending to a movie I would ever have imagined on my own. Sigh.
    I guess we're all suckers for an emotional jolt, whether through laughter or tears. Glad I stopped by. Best of luck with the new release!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't watch the end of Edward Scissorhands when you see at the end the ice sculptures he creates of the world he had to leave behind. I cry every time I watch it.

    Also not quite the end of Dances With Wolves when the animals get killed. I leave before that.

    The first book I wrote there were two scenes that I had to force myself to write because I knew they would be so painful to the characters I didn't want to do it. (In the end I did, though). Love this post, Joselyn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adelle, I had to skim the last pages of My Sister's Keeper because of the ending. Great book though.

    Jenna, I think that is why I had a hard time with Hauntings of the Heart. I didn't want to revive those emotions for the characters.

    I recently reread a book that I read while I was pregnant and couldn't remember a thing about the ending. Now I know why. The heroine goes through a horrific labor and I blocked the whole thing out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't watch many movies, so I purposely choose happy ones. I think the last movie that had parts that disturbed me was Forrest Gump. But the pain the characters experience make them stronger, and better able to appreciate the happy endings. So I'm with you - I like to write stories that end happily.

    ReplyDelete